找回密碼
 註冊
搜索
查看: 1910|回復: 5

How much should I feed my turtle ?

[複製鏈接]
發表於 2018-11-14 14:04:17 | 顯示全部樓層 |閱讀模式
Hello,

I have a 9 months red ear slider 13cm and a 6 months yellow spotted side neck turtle 9cm.

I feed them pellets once a day, the RES one and half tea spoon and yellow spotted half tea spoon. The RES finish his food in just 1 minute. I don’t want to over feed them, can someone please tell me it that’s enough?

I saw on YouTube when people picking up their turtles, they seems to be very calm. When I pick mine up, they struggle so much.....what can I do? I just want to stroke their shell

Thanks in advance
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2018-11-14 16:36:59 | 顯示全部樓層
Red-eared tortoises are more impulsive.
They don't adapt to the new environment or they want to escape when they are hungry.

The amount of food and the volume of their heads can be similar.
If they have a large amount of exercise and the weather is hot,
they can give more. (Google Translate)
回復

使用道具 舉報

發表於 2018-11-14 22:11:48 | 顯示全部樓層
For a RES in the size of 13cm, a full tea spoon will be fine, for 9cm yellow spotted, 3/4 tea spoon is better.
For your other question, please understand that most turtle do not like to be handled, of course there will be exceptional (rare possibility) but in general it causes them stress when being held by people.
I have also seen some youtube videos which shows interactions between owner and turtles, some owners have several turtles and each of them has different "personality", even when some of the turtles are raised by the owner since hatchlings, some remained extremely aggressive whenever facing any interaction, while some tend to adore handling.
Although you may attempt to tame/make them more adapt to your existence by letting them out of their tank and walk around the house with you watching and guiding, there will still be great possibility that they refuse to be handled even after a long time.
Turtles don't have the same affection like other mammals, instead of "unconditional love",they are more towards choosing objects that makes them feel comfortable or warm. My turtle like to stay on my palm mostly for the same reason, its like conditioning, its brain link me(my palm) and positive feeling together, hence it looks like it has affection towards me(approaching me/my palm). Likewise, over handling them when they have already shown negative reactions could cause them to have bad impressions towards you(except for feeding time becuz theres an external condition.)
Hope this helps! :)
回復

使用道具 舉報

樓主| 發表於 2018-11-15 08:09:36 | 顯示全部樓層
lukehui 發表於 2018-11-14 16:36
Red-eared tortoises are more impulsive.
They don't adapt to the new environment or they want to esc ...

Thank you for the informations
回復

使用道具 舉報

樓主| 發表於 2018-11-15 08:17:33 | 顯示全部樓層
Bruinybear 發表於 2018-11-14 22:11
For a RES in the size of 13cm, a full tea spoon will be fine, for 9cm yellow spotted, 3/4 tea spoon  ...

Yes, it helps a lot.
I put up a walking area for them and the yellow spotted sometimes come to my palm for a little while
Again, thank you so much !!

點評

No problem! :) glad it helps.  發表於 2018-11-15 10:36
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 註冊

本版積分規則

Archiver|手機版|小黑屋|聯繫我們|香港龜友論壇

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 17:53 , Processed in 0.039049 second(s), 13 queries .